Octobver 23, 2019
All those pictures on Pinterest, Better Homes and Gardens, Tumblr and similar sites make the results of kitchen renovation projects look so easy. Well, some of these images may be what many of us desire our kitchens to look like, but they are often far from being easy or inexpensive. This is because a botched kitchen remodel can quickly eat into your entire home renovation budget. To help you get it right the first time here five of the most common mistakes people make when starting a kitchen remodel—and what you can do to avoid them.
· Not thinking about workflow: Of course we desire our kitchens to be attractive but at the end of the day they must also be functional. A poor workflow can leave your kitchen in chaos. Additionally, your cooker, sink fridge, etc should be no more than three feet apart so that meal preparation is easy.
· Too much stainless steel: Too much stainless steel can make your kitchen look like a morgue. Rather than being surrounded by a sea of stainless steel items in your kitchen, you can soften its look by decorating it with practical and attractive items such as a mobile kitchen island cart breakfast table, a natural wood finish kitchen island with marble top and other items that will make your kitchen look cozier and less sterile.
· Underestimating how much storage you’ll need: There’s a saying that you can never have too much kitchen storage space. Well, this is true. However, you can easily have too little storage room. That is why you should calculate how much space you will need and then add to that kitchen furnishing that can be used as storage devices such as our brown kitchen island storage cart with wood top and casters.
· Choosing the wrong contractors: Many people decide to go the DIY route when it comes to remodeling their kitchens. However, those who choose to hire professionals should be cautious and always check the references and background of the people they hire to handle their remodel project. Also, check the paperwork of the contractors you hire to see if they have the licenses required and the insurance to do the work. Not doing so may cause you to expend more money than you desire and/or to end up with results that are not to your liking.
· Making changes after the work begins: If you are using a contractor, then making changes once the work begins can become quite costly. Thus, you should always be specific when it comes to planning the layout of your kitchen. Moreover, you should check the progress of the work being done on your kitchen at every point up until the project is completed. This will help you avoid cost overruns.
In short, by avoiding these mistakes you can save yourself additional stress and frustration. Moreover, by avoiding these mistakes you will come closer to having your dream kitchen. We can help you with your home remodel project with products such as our farmhouse kitchen decor and our high end dinnerware.
October 12, 2019
It doesn’t matter whether you live in a cabin in the countryside or in a modern home in the city, you can still create a rustic paradise in your home. All it takes is a little imagination and some time. So sit back, relax and take in all of these rustic home decor ideas so you can get started on your next project that will give your home a warm, pastoral environment.
· Rustic wall art: The great thing about wall art is that it can truly help bring a room together and it is portable at the same time. It can be easily added to any and every room in the home in order to complete the look of rustic simplicity. Pieces of wall art that are particularly effective in creating such a look are linen pieces, sconcesand antique clocks.
· Stonework: Marble, granite and quartz countertops can also add a homespun touch to the kitchen, bathroom and even the living room. Moreover, not only can granite and other kinds of stone be easily added to your home to create a warm, natural look, they also increase the value of your home and are relatively easy to maintain.
· Choose warm, earth tones: The right color scheme can go a long way in creating the natural look. Therefore, you should try to decorate your home with colors commonly found in nature such as browns, greens and grays. Use this color scheme when picking out furniture for each room during your rustic makeover and avoid sterile colors such as silver, blue and violet.
· Contract wood with stone accents: Wood items, art and furnishing can also go a long way towards creating a rustic look but try to contrast wood accents with stone. This combination adds texture to your home and it will make the space in your home feel larger and more natural.
· Bunk beds: Bunk beds aren’t just for just for children. They are an attractive and smart use of bedroom space that also adds a folksy charm to the master chambers.
These are just a few ideals you can use to transform your home for the fall. We have many other items that can help you achieve the rustic or farmhouse look in your home. So, why not retreat to a simpler time right in the privacy of your own home.
October, 1 2019
There are many things that can rob you of a good night’s sleep. These things include stress, a room that is too hot or cold, background noise, etc. However, one thing that can negatively impact sleep that most people overlook is the kind and quality of the bedding they own. Yes, bedding can have just as much of an impact on sleep quality as any of the aforementioned factors. From boosting your immune systems to making you more productive, here are four ways fine bedding can help make you both happier and healthier.
· High quality bedding helps to improve your mood: There is overwhelming evidence that a good night’s sleep can help combat depression and improve emotional stability. Thank about it. When was the last time you woke up after not getting a good night’s rest and didn’t feel cranky?
· High quality bedding helps you to lose weight: That’s right! The way it works is that sleep regulates two hormones that are related to weight gain. The first is ghrelin (which makes you feel hungry). The second is leptin (which makes you feel full). In fact, research conducted at the University of Chicago has found that well rested persons lose 50% more fat than people who are sleep deprived. That is to say, the quality of a person’s sleep is a vital part of a weight loss regime to be supplemented with portion control and exercise.
· High quality bedding helps maintain your immune system: Other chemicals that your body produces during sleep are ones called cytokines. These immune system-boosting proteins help keep you healthy and by strengthening your body’s ability to ward off viruses such as the common cold and influenza. On the other hand, there is plenty of evidence that people who do not get enough sleep take longer to recover from sicknesses and are more likely to fall victim to colds and other viral diseases.
· High quality bedding helps you to live longer: Sleep deprivation has long been associated with conditions such as heart disease, diabetes, and high blood pressure all of which can significantly shorten your life expectancy. In fact, some studies show that people who get less than six hours of sleep are 70% more likely to have a shorter light span than people who sleep more than six hours a night.
The lesson here is not to be too chintzy when it comes to purchasing a bed and all the accompanying accessories. After all, bedding that is uncomfortable could be literally making you ill. If this is the case, you should try some of our high end sheets, pillows,comforters, etc which also make unique gift ideas.
If you want a new look, then you have many choices. Whether you want a sleek modern look or sophisticated country charm; there are many different styles, designs and color schemes that are sure to make your kitchen a place where you will love to spend time. No matter how much money you have in your decorating budget, you are sure to find plenty of kitchen design ideas to suit your taste and preferences. Let’s take a look at a few design ideas to give you some inspiration.
Salvage What You Can
If you want a new look in your kitchen, yet funds are limited, then it is a great idea to keep whatever you can. By salvaging some of the materials in your kitchen, you will have more left to spend on other items. For example, if your cabinets are in good shape yet need a change or makeover, try adding new hardware or perhaps a coat of paint. Or maybe your kitchen is simply bland and boring; you can easily spice up that kitchen by using the existing platform and adding a coat of paint, new accessories and rugs that coordinate.
Another way that you can give your kitchen the facelift that it needs without spending a ton of money is by choosing to have your existing cabinets resurfaced. Instead of spending money on new cabinets because you simply don’t like your old ones, consider breathing new life into them by resurfacing them in the finish of your choice. Not only is this going to be a lot cheaper, it will also allow you a level of customization generally only found when choosing new cabinets.
A great way to make a difference in your kitchen is to remove unnecessary items and create ample storage space in your kitchen. This will help you to keep your kitchen clean because everything will have a specific place to go. Replace your current clutter with coordinated glass canisters to hold kitchen essentials; or install floating shelves with color coordinating storage baskets.
Reuse & Repurpose
So important and quite the cost saver! If you want to decorate your kitchen on a budget, consider looking around your house, in the attic or basement to find items that are not being used. Perhaps you have a piece of furniture not being utilized that you could repurpose for your kitchen storage needs. Or, if you want to accessorize your kitchen for cheap, consider looking at your local thrift store or garage sales.
The kitchen is probably the most used room in your home besides the bathroom and is, therefore, a great place to start if you are considering renovating or redecorating your home. Since this is the heart of your home, adding some new home décor to your kitchen is a great way to give your home a fresh new feel. Don’t worry, redecorating your kitchen does not have to be expensive. While it certainly could be if you were to replace appliances, flooring, cabinets and other large ticket items; there are plenty of ways that you can give your kitchen a facelift without blowing your budget. Check out the ideas below to help you spice up your kitchen and breathe new life into the heart of your home.
● Add Textiles with Flair – If you want to make a big impact in a small kitchen without it being too overwhelming, a great way to do this is to introduce bold textiles into the space that feature eye-catching colors such as reds, yellows, and oranges. Add rugs, pictures, curtains, and other accessories in the same color family and you will quickly add some visual interest to your small kitchen space. Not only this, you can be sure that this inexpensive idea is sure to give you a lot of impact on the cost.
● Lighting – Lighting is very important in setting the mood and creating the ambiance in your home. If your kitchen currently has inadequate or incorrect lighting, adding new light fixtures is a great choice. Choose recess lighting to provide direct light to areas where food is prepared and cooked while keeping the lighting in the entertaining and eating area a little more toned down to set the right mood and create a welcoming ambiance that you are sure to enjoy whether eating dinner with the family or entertaining your friends or coworkers.
● Cabinet Hardware – This is an area that you may not give much thought; however, with the right hardware, you can transform your cabinets and make them pop. Your local hardware store, as well as many online retailers, offers plenty of styles of cabinet handles and drawer pulls to choose from. Consider choosing handles in the same finish as your appliances or for visual interest, add colored handles and drawer pulls in the accent color you have chosen to use in your kitchen to help create a cohesive pulled together look.
If you enjoy our blogs, please let us know.